Coconut is one of my all time favorite flavors. Always has been, always will be. On our vacation (I know, I am still living in the past!) I ate big bowls of icy coconut sorbet every night. And sometimes in the afternoon.
When I recently created a Fourth of July menu for Fitness Magazine, I tried to think of a lighter approach to dessert while still keeping it delicious! My mind went straight to the gorgeous coconut sorbet from our trip…
I made a few recipes until I felt that there was a strong enough coconut flavor. This recipe for coconut sorbet is a light and healthy (dairy free!) dessert with two different sources of coconut flavor infusing the sorbet. I like to serve it in a dish with tart red raspberries.
Coconut Sorbet, yields 1 quart
-2 cans coconut milk, well shaken!
-2 cups flaked unsweetened coconut
-1 cup sugar
1) In a small pot, combine the coconut milk, (make sure that you spread all of the thick coconut on the lid in!) flaked coconut and sugar with the dash of salt.
2) Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and stir for about 2 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
3) Take the pot off of the heat and let sit until it has cooled.
4) Strain the mixture into a bowl, pressing all of the liquid out of the flaked coconut.
5) Discard the flaked coconut and refrigerate the coconut sorbet base until cold.
6) You can freeze the coconut sorbet in a machine according to manufacturers directions, or even just place in tupperwear and put straight into the freezer.
7) Let freeze overnight, and when ready to eat scoop and serve with fresh raspberries.