I have spent the last 2-3 weeks moving in to our new house (finally!!). With a new baby, hundreds of boxes to unpack and a Saint Bernard the chaos is unfathomable and the stress level is high! But two nights ago, I had the immense joy of cooking in my new kitchen, and all of the pressure evaporated, even if it was just for an hour.
I wasn’t planning to cook anything until we were all unpacked, but a run to COSTCO for supplies changed all of that. In their refrigerator section, I saw that they were selling bags of fresh, peeled and chopped butternut squash. Butternut squash makes the best soup, but I hate having to peel and scoop those things. So when I saw those bags, I loaded my cart with them. (I know that Trader Joes carries a similar product often).
The following recipe is a twist on my more traditional butternut squash soup. I spiced things up a little bit with curry powder and cayenne. It is a really flavorful, healthy and filling soup, perfect for these cold nights we are having.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
-2 Tbs Olive Oil
-1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
-2 lbs of peeled chopped raw butternut squash
-2 16oz box or cans of chicken stock
-2 Tbs of yellow curry powder
-¼ tsp of cayenne (or to taste)
-Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1) In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, and sprinkle them with kosher salt. Let the onions sweat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2) Add the cubed butternut squash, and stir to coat with the onions and oil. Pour the chicken stock into the pot, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
3) Let the soup cook for about 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Using a stick blender, puree soup until smooth. (You can also use the blender, and puree in batches).
4) Season the soup with the cayenne, curry and salt and black pepper. Let the soup simmer covered for another 15 minutes until the flavors have blended.
6) Serve hot with freshly chopped parsley (and a you can add a dollop of cold crème fraiche or sour cream on top).Print Recipe
Leave a Comment