My family and I are major lovers of Asian food. Like it is one of the only types of food that our kids go for so we are always eating it. But truth be told, we most often have to resort to take out from the local restaurant’s and I am well aware that this is not always the healthiest choice. Which is why I am so excited about the recent release of Jaden Hair’s new book “Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites.”
The recipes are so incredibly easy and clear and they seriously make cooking Asian food in your own kitchen a snap. Jaden has really simple ingredients and techniques that make all of her gorgeous recipe achievable for anyone.
I am sharing one of my favorite recipes from the book today, Thai Larb Chicken Lettuce Cups. These are freaking awesome. I made a double batch when Pete was out of town last week and ate them for every meal for two days straight.
I thought this was a great recipe to post this week, since the idea of eating with your hands on Valentines day seemed fun. Wink, wink. Maybe you can feed your honey one of these spicy, , flavorful little bundles?
To ensure that you have a chance to also enjoy lots of the other beautiful recipe’s in the book, I am giving away one copy of “Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites”!
To enter, all you have to do is leave a comment on this post telling me what your favorite Asian dish is!!
1. Subscribe to Heather Christo to receive all of my recipe updates! (You just fill in your email in the subscribe box on the home page or sign up for RSS at the bottom of the page.) Leave a separate comment letting me know you subscribe.
2. Join Heather Christo on Facebook. Leave a separate comment letting me know you are following.
3. Follow @HeatherChristo on Twitter. Leave a separate comment letting me know you are following.
4. Follow Heather Christo on Pinterest. Leave a separate comment letting me know you follow.
The giveaway is open until Monday, February 18th at 11:59 p.m. PT. The giveaway is only open to USA residents. Be sure a valid email address is included with your comment(s). Winner will be chosen randomly and announced on this post Tuesday AM. I will email the winner and if the winner doesn’t respond in 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen. Good luck!
to make these Lettuce Cups, this is what you do:
-Heat a wok or large sauté pan over high heat. When hot, swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil and add the chicken. Use your spatula to break up the meat and spread out over the surface of the pan. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes.
-Push the ground chicken to one side of the pan and swirl in the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil. T o the oil, add the shallots, red onion, garlic, and fresh chiles and sauté the aromatics until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
-Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and soy sauce.
-Serve hot with lettuce cups and fresh herbs.
Recipe: thai larb chicken lettuce cups
- -1 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- -1/2 pound ground chicken breast
- -2 shallots, diced
- -1/4 red onion, diced
- -1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- -Minced fresh chiles, Jalapeño or Fresno (amount up to you)
- -1 tablespoon fish sauce
- -1/2 lime, juiced
- -1 teaspoon gluten free soy sauce
- -1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated into “cups”
- -1 handful of cilantro and/or mint, cut into chiffonade
- 1. Heat a wok or large sauté pan over high heat. When hot, swirl in 1 tablespoon of the oil and add the chicken. Use your spatula to break up the meat and spread out over the surface of the pan. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Push the ground chicken to one side of the pan and swirl in the remaining ½ tablespoon of oil.
- 3. To the oil, add the shallots, red onion, garlic, and fresh chiles and sauté the aromatics until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 4.Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and soy sauce.
- 5. Serve with lettuce cups and herbs.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4