It is the cutest little package of a book (much like it’s author) and every single one of its 80 recipes gloriously showcases avocados. I marked the heck out of this book the second I got it because I just couldn’t believe how many of these recipes appealed to me!
Goat cheese guacamole?? Had to make it.
Avocado Croque Monsieur? Thinking about it right now .
Avocado and Chocolate Chip Banana Bread? What!!!?
Fried Avocado Tacos? Well, just take a look at these, I couldn’t resist.
Crispy and fragrant on the outside, creamy and cool on the inside.
I wrapped them up in corn tortillas with the recommended salsa verde and then added shredded Monterey jack. These tacos were fun and really delicious and would be perfect for a crowd. I have never even heard of deep frying avocado’s! Have you? What an amazing concept, and what a great recipe!
I happen to know that Gaby tested each of these 80 recipes over and over to make sure that these would work flawlessly for you, and they won’t disappoint!
For those of you who are Avocado lovers like me, and can’t wait to get their hands on all these yummy recipes, I am going to give away three copies of Absolutely Avocados.
CONTEST UPDATE!!! THE WINNER IS RACHEL:
COMMENT #67 Submitted on 2013/04/24 at 8:24 am
“I love avocados chopped on salads or pureed as a sauce on chicken. YUM!!”
RACHEL, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT HEATHERCHRISTO@GMAIL.COM WITH YOUR INFO!!
To enter, just leave a comment below telling me your favorite way to enjoy Avocados!
To earn additional entries (up to 4) LEAVE AN ADDITIONAL COMMENT FOR EACH CHANCE IF YOU DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
1) Subscribe to HeatherChristo.com
2) Like me on Facebook
3) Follow me on Twitter
4) Tweet: Enter to win on @Heather Christo: @WhatsGabyCooking ‘s new book Absolutely Avocados!!
4) Follow me on Pinterest
Continental USA only please. This giveaway will run until 12pm PT on Monday night the 29th of April. Good Luck Guys!!
Recipe: Fried Avocado Tacos
- -½ cup pale ale (I used Corona)
- -½ cup all-purpose flour
- -1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- -½ teaspoon ground cumin
- -¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- -½ teaspoon kosher salt
- -2 cups grapeseed oil for frying
- -2 Hass avocados (the big ones!)
- -8 small tortillas
- -1 cup refried beans ( I used black beans)
- -1 cup salsa verde
- -½ cup shredded Monterey jack
- (I served these with lime cilantro creme and sweet and spicy red onions I had in the fridge)
- 1. Whisk together the pale ale, flour and spices. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and let sit for 2 hours.
- 2. Heat the grape seed oil in a heavy tall pot until 375 degrees.
- 3. Cut each avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and slice each half into 4 pieces.
- 4. Dredge each avocado piece in the batter and gently transfer it to the hot oil and fry until golden brown, 1-2 minutes.
- 5. You can fry a few pieces at a time, just be careful not to over crowd the oil.
- 6. Remove the avocado with a slotted spoon and set on a paper towel to drain. Repeat this with remaining avocado slices..
- 7. Wrap the corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 1 minute.
- 8. Arrange the tortillas on a platter and evenly divide the beans among them, followed by the salsa verde, a few slices of avocado and the cheese. Top with the lime crema if desired. Serve immediately!
Preparation time: 2 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4