Saturday Stuff, edition 6
1. This week I went on New Day Northwest and did a segment (which you can watch here) on throwing an Oscars party. One of the things I shared there wasn’t exactly a recipe, so I thought I would share it here. Champagne Cupcakes! Now it isn’t a full recipe, because I just altered a cake mix. But let me tell you, by taking a yellow cake mix and doing nothing but swapping the water for 1 cup of champagne or prosecco I got the most gorgeous HUGE fluffy, puffed up cupcakes ever!! I just used a basic vanilla buttercream frosting like this one here and then sprinkled edible gold glitter stars and pearls that were reminiscent of fizzy champagne! They were actually very pretty and tasted great!
3. Wilbur was neutered on Wednesday. He won’t walk, drink water or really do anything but whimper. He has been to the vet and is completely fine other than the discomfort that he is in. They gave him extra drugs and that seems to have helped a little. But goodness! Mason didn’t even seem to notice it when it happened to him. Of course he could have been hit by a cement truck and I’m not sure it would have bothered him. Now I have never lost my balls (for obvious reasons, like I don’t have any) so I don’t know if Wilbur is a drama queen or if his tolerance of pain is just so significantly different than bigger dogs that it is like they are not the same species. (That’s what I am going with). I am spoon feeding him water (seriously)and he will only be transported wrapped in a luxe lavender little giraffe baby blanket (seriously) and will only sleep wrapped in my soft pink bathrobe (seriously). The cone has just capped it all off. He is the most pitiful little creature and so I just do all of those things like I am caring for a very sick child. Even my mom and Missy (Wilbur’s biological mother) came over to check on him. Don’t moms just make everything better? Missy seemed to make him feel better, and my mom got him drinking (albeit with a spoon) and made me feel better. Sigh….
4. I am still making this popcorn treat a lot. I can’t seem to help it. It satisfies my sweet cravings and Pia can still have it since it is allergy free for her. (We just use Beet sugar instead of cane sugar.) This is how you make it:
Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil, plus 1/3 cup corn kernels in a large pot with a lid. Cook till just popped and then toss with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, generous pinch cayenne pepper.
5. I would like to point out that every time I start to think it is Spring (I mean the daffodils are BLOOMING!!) I hear some &*%$ about snow. It is supposed to snow tomorrow. For the love of God, can’t we just be done with this winter already?
OKaaaay ladies and gentleman, here is my favorite drool worthy recipes from around the web this week!
6. Polish Paczki Donuts. I have a sick weakness for doughnuts, and these look absolutely amazing. The Jam. The Sugary coating. Shovel them into my mouth.
7. Whiskey Honey Toasted Walnuts. I would like a bucket of these and park myself in front of the TV all weekend.
Saucy Indian Spiced Chicken Naan. I am obsessed with this type of Spicy Indian fare right now. I want someone to make this for me on Sunday night.
Homemade Yellow Cake Mix. I think this is the most brilliant thing to keep in the pantry.
Easy Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting. I would be so into this. For breakfast.
Ok- enjoy your weekend, and I will be back here tomorrow to share another one of Pia ‘s allergy free recipes! (hint: it’s for breakfast!)Print Recipe