School finally starts for my kids on Monday. Um, Thank God. I think we are all looking forward to getting into a routine again. For me, part of that is thinking about the grind of churning out breakfast and lunch every morning. We are huge on smoothies, but I gotta tell you- sometimes you need to switch it up- same goes for afternoon snacks. Sometimes you need something nutritious and healthy that is also a little bit sweet and indulgent tasting- right?
Well the answer to all of my kids breakfast and snacking dreams may lie in this Oatmeal Cookie Granola. I got the recipe from Jessica Merchants new book. Jessica writes the blog How Sweet Eats, which is a day-in day-out smorgasboard of other worldly, mind blowing recipes, food porn and comedy. Thank you for that Jessica.
She has piled all of that into her first book aptly named “Seriously Delish.”
Today I offer you a slightly altered version of her recipe (mine is vegan and gluten free and I just HAD to add some dried cranberries!) as well as a fun giveaway to celebrate! And before we get to that giveaway- I have to tell you that my family is a tough and judgy crowd when it comes to good eats. And I am telling you, without exaggeration, that they gobbled this right up and loved it!
So- the giveaway! All you have to do is leave a comment below telling me what you are most looking forward to about Fall (The cooler nights? The falling leaves? The peace and quiet while your kids are at school?) and you will be in the running to win a copy of “Seriously Delish” and a really cute little Kitchen Aid hand mixer- because you will need one to make delicious things like Oatmeal Apple Butter Squares and layered chocolate raspberry pavlova (yum!) among other delectable dishes.
Please just leave one comment per person and MAKE SURE you leave your email address!! This contest will close on Sunday night (9/7/14) at 6pm PT. Please, US citizens only (sorry!). I will announce the winner (who will be chosen at random on random.org) right here after that. Good Luck!!
|Kelley @ Misty Bleu Farm
Submitted on 2014/09/05 at 10:31 am
I’m looking forward to wrapping up in cozy cashmere sweaters and throws by the fire, driving around looking at the fall leaves and eating the apple cider donuts at Hicks Orchard in Granville, NY hot straight out of the bag- yum!
Recipe: Oatmeal Cookie Granola (Vegan and Gluten free)
- 2 ¼ cups old fashioned gluten free rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup ground chia seeds (you can grind them in blender or coffee grinder)
- 1 tablespoon beet sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup honey (agave for vegans)
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (gluten-free, vegan, soy free- I use Enjoy Life brand)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, almonds, chia seeds, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small pot combine the honey, coconut oil and vanilla- bring to a simmer so that the ingredients have all melted together.
- Pour the mixture over the oats and stir with a wooden spoon until all of the granola is coated. Spread it evenly over the parchment lined sheet pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes then use a spatula to toss the granola.
- Bake another 10 minuets and then toss again.
- Bake another 10 minutes, but toss at the 5 minute mark and right when you pull the pan out at the end.
- Let the granola cool for at least 5 minutes and then toss in the chocolate chips and the cranberries and stir together. Store in a sealed bag or an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12