NEW VIDEO!! Just in time for Memorial Day Weekend, this is the easiest most delicious fruit dessert and it’s perfect for bringing to your weekend potlucks, BBQ’s and fun festivities!
Today I am sharing a recipe that my mother taught me how to make as a child, and that goes back several generations and has always been a family favorite. There are a few things about this that I really love: One is that it is so versatile- like you can use ANY fruit (fresh or frozen) when you make this, which makes it wonderfully easy and delicious in any season. (Although this delicious raspberry version is SO DAMN GOOD!)
The other thing that I love is that it has really naturally made an easy transition from it’s original ingredients to our “allergen-free lifestyle” ingredients. I swapped out gluten free oats, beet sugar and coconut oil for the traditional ingredients and I have to say, in all honesty I think it’s better this way and many family members agree.
I love pulling this out of the oven when I have company over- the whole house smells like heaven and the crispy comes out with the berries all bubbly sweet and the golden, crispy crumbly oat topping is drool inducing. You can assemble the dessert early in the day and bake on demand, or it’s also delicious to bake early in the day and then leave it out at room temperature to serve later. You can serve it family style, scoop into bowls, or I have even brought one to the office, and everyone just filled their paper coffee cups!
I thought this would also be nice to post before Memorial Day weekend so that entertaining would be easier than ever. Whether you are trying to eat allergen free or not- this would be a wonderful dessert for your family! I would top it with some whipped coconut cream or vanilla vegan ice cream to make it extra special!
Ok, this is how you make this DELICIOUS gluten-free and vegan raspberry crisp:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the GF flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, beet sugar and 3 cups oats.
Using a pastry cutter or forks, cut the coconut oil into the dry ingredients until you have a coarse crumb.
Sprinkle the raspberries with the 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
Grease a 9×13” baking dish and fill with the fruit mixture. Sprinkle the crisp topping over the top of the fruit.
Bake the crisp for about 60 minutes or until the fruit is hot and bubbly and the crispy is golden brown.
Let cool slightly before serving.
Recipe: Raspberry Oatmeal Crisp, Gluten Free and Vegan
- 8 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the Oatmeal Crisp Topping:
- 1 cup gluten free flour (such as Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose baking flour)
- 1 cup brown or white sugar
- 3 cups gluten free oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup room temperature coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the GF flour, sugar, 3 cups oats, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and coconut oil. Using a pastry cutter or forks, cut the Coconut oil into the dry ingredients until you have a coarse crumb.
- Sprinkle the raspberries with the 2 tablespoons sugar and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and mix well.
- Grease a 9×13” baking dish and fill with the fruit mixture. Sprinkle the crisp topping over the top of the fruit.
- Bake the crisp for about 60 minutes or until the fruit is hot and bubbly and the crispy is golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 60 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12