Pete wants to make sure right up front that I tell you, the name of this cake does NOT do it justice. LOL! He was pretty adamant about that because this was an exceptionally delicious cake. You are going to want to make this ASAP.
I will say, I have been playing around a lot the last few weeks with Purple Sweet Potatoes, and wow. They are not the same as regular sweet potatoes.
Even when I just bake them all on their own, the air is so sweet and fragrant that Coco thought I was baking donuts the other morning. It was just the purple sweet potatoes. They are just so incredibly naturally sweet, and from what I have read, they have a lot more nutritional value than the orange potatoes too!
Because these have turned out so wonderfully sweet, I decided to add them to a dessert. And this Purple Sweet Potato Spice Cake turned out (despite it’s color!!) to be absolutely fantastic. The texture, the flavor and the warmth of the spice and sweet potato is the best possible combination for a bundt cake and I am so happy to be able to share it with you.
On the color- much like when baking with beets, the color just did not turn out after baking with everything else. Or there was not enough purple potato to create a dark, bright sweet potato color. Either way- it’s not quite purple LOL! But still delicious!
If you just added a sprinkle of powdered sugar, this would be a very respectable coffee cake to be served at breakfast! With the glaze, it works as a delicious dessert that everyone will enjoy!
- I used purple sweet potatoes with purple FLESH, not just skin
- For the glaze, I used Coconut Condensed Milk, which I found at my local grocery store, but it is also on Amazon if you can’t find it!
- Dry Ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups gluten free all-purpose flour (I use bobs red mill all-purpose baking flour)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons xanthum gum
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups baked purple sweet potato, skin removed and lightly mashed with a fork
- ½ cup vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened in a refrigerated carton)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Thick Vanilla Glaze:
- ½ cup condensed coconut milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons non-dairy milk
- For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt cake pan with cooking spray or brush with coconut oil
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the mashed sweet potato, oil, milk and vanilla then whisk until thick, smooth and fluffy.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan, spreading it evenly into the pan- it will not fill all the way up, but it will puff up quite a bit.
- Bake the cake for 60 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove the cake from the oven and then let cool before sprinkling with powdered sugar or topping with the glaze.
- For the glaze: in a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth. The glaze should be on the thicker side, not runny. Pour over the top of the cake evenly and let run down the sides. Sprinkles are optional.
- Slice and serve.