We are heading home after a long week of eating, drinking and eating some more. Did I mention that we ate a lot? I just can never help myself here.
So now I am just craving getting back on track, with foods like roasted salmon and delicious healthy dishes like this Quinoa Salad with Mint, Nectarine, Edamame and Peas.
You will never believe where I got the idea for this quinoa salad…
Heathrow Airport. Random, huh? There was this one spot in the international terminal that we ate coming and going from Europe during our layover. And basically- the quinoa salad I had on the way in, was so good that I forced Pete to go there on the way back! It was similar to what I made here and topped with a smoky salmon that was insane (so I highly recommend eating this with Salmon!)
This version I added a few things, including the rip and juicy nectarines that are everywhere right now. It winds up being so delicious and so refreshing and is pretty much the perfect side for any dinner or a complete lunch!
Recipe: Quinoa Salad with Mint, Nectarine, Edamame and Peas
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 3 2/3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup peas,
- 1 cup edamame, shelled
- 2 large lemons juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 cup mint
- 1 nectarine, cut into matchstick slices
- In a medium pot over medium heat add the water and 1 teaspoon of salt. As it heats up, add the quinoa. Bring to a simmer and then put a lid on the pot. Turn the heat to low and then let simmer for 15 minutes. Then leave covered for another 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and season to taste with kosher salt.
- Meanwhile, in another small pan of simmering water, cook the peas for 1-2 minutes and then drain and rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking.
- Add the peas and the edamame to the quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil and season to taste with kosher salt. Add the dressing to the quinoa and toss everything gently. Season again to taste with kosher salt.
- Gently toss in fresh mint and nectarines. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8